Some useful ways of using Piri Piri
If you’ve spent 5 minutes on this website, you’ll know we’re OBSESSED with Piri Piri. I mean, we’d have to be, considering that we played a not too small role in popularizing this delicious sauce. But leaving aside our own personal relationship with Piri Piri, it’s safe to say the versatility of the sauce is remarkable. Sure, you may but have tried and even like some other hot sauces, but Piri Piri is everything you ever wanted the in your kitchen. It highlights the flavor of any meat you can name, and probably many more you can’t!
No wonder then that there are so many fun ways to use Piri Piri! Here, we’re going to show you a couple of cool ways you can utilize our very favorite sauce in the kitchen.
1) We’re going to use it on prawns today.
Don’t run away just yet! We meant it when we said Piri Piri can be used with just about anything, and that includes prawns! Here we’ll show you how to make the best Piri Piri prawns that I ever tasted – and I’ve have tasted a whole load of different types of prawns in my life time.
LM Prawns: (LM standing for ‘Lourenço Marques’) the old capital of Mozambique.
For those that know Mozambique, specially in the old days, will remember these mouth watering prawns.
Those days, flocks of tourists from South Africa and Rhodesia, would invade ‘Lourenço Marques’ to enjoy the wonderful beaches, ‘LM prawns’, ‘Piri Piri chicken’ and ‘laurentina’ beer.
These are the things that everybody would remember for many years up to today!
So, let’s work on this simple and famous recipe: (for 4 servings)
• 1 Kg of large king prawns
• 1 Lemon
• 1 tblsp of butter
• 1 tblsp of olive oil
• 1/3 of a bottle of ‘Mannys Sauces’ Meat Marinade
• 3 tblsp of ‘Mannys Sauces’ Piri Piri
• With a small scissors, make a cut on the shell of each prawn all the way along the back. Now with a sharp knife, cut the prawn in the middle and open the prawns (butterfly style). With the palm of your hand, gentle press the two halves to make a perfect butterfly.
• With a basting brush, marinate the prawns with marinade, making sure the prawns are well coated with the marinade. Leave in the marinade for 2 hours.
• Meantime, mix the juice of the lemon, olive oil, butter and the Piri Piri and mix well.
• On a pre-heated (high heat) BBQ, lay the prawns on the grill (inside down first), making sure these are completely flat on the grill. Grill for 3 minutes, (depending on the type of BBQ you using), it might take slightly longer to grill. On a heavy plate BBQ, 3 minutes is the right time), turn them over and baste them on the inside with the mixture.
Remove and serve with chips garlic bread and a generous green salad.
If you enjoy this recipe, please leave a comment below.